Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Point

Ever since blogs began to take off I've wondered how I could start writing my own blog posts, share my thoughts, and most importantly, get all these crazy things in my head down on paper (...or blog). I tried a couple different blogs that failed before I'd finished the first post, and for the past few years the back of my mind has been fixed on finding a release for my undiscovered creative side. Hopefully this blog gets those juices flowing.

The goal of this blog is for me to dump my growing knowledge of good maintenance practices for your home personal computer. I've been slowly realizing that among my small group of friends and family I've become the go-to computer guy (a.k.a. nerd), and through the hours of tinkering and problem solving, I've developed a set of best-practices and tips for keeping your computer in top shape.

"The Point" is this: Just like your car (or your marriage), any computer needs regular maintenance. Although thousands of programs exist that claim to fix this and that, there is not a single one that can substitute for good old common sense. As an example, for all but the best of us our cars fill up with trash . Leftover fast-food wrappers, every pen you've ever used, $30 in loose change, and that CD of that band you hate end up littering the floor and making calling "shotgun" irrelevant since you can't sit in the back seat anyway. However, when you finally decide to clean out the trash, would you take your car in to your favorite auto shop? No, you'd grab the garbage bin from the garage and get to work yourself. That's just common sense.

The same is true with computers. Over time, computers build up trash. I'm sure everyone can think of at least five examples of trash on their computer, and all that trash slows down your computer...a lot. The problem is that for most people, the "common sense" idea that you can (and should) clean up your own trash is not there. Maybe Windows is scary, you're scared you'll delete something you shouldn't, or you don't know how to do it. I assure you, you can get past all of this, and that's why this blog is here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kensun87,

    I have solved the problem of passing arrays in callbacks, in the article:

    Callback to C# from Unmanaged Fortran - PASSING ARRAYS

    http://xtechnotes.blogspot.com/2011/01/callback-to-c-from-unmanaged-fortran.html

    ReplyDelete